Cheapest car insurance for an 18-year-old
* Data missing or unavailable at time of publication
** States that have no minimum wage or a minimum wage lower than the federal wage are displayed at the federal minimum.
How young drivers can get more affordable car insurance
The cost of liability insurance has more to do with the driver than the car. (The insurance company isn t going to fix your car, just the person s you hit.) In your search for affordable auto insurance, these are the factors you have some control over:
- Your driving record: More than one violation or accident is going to hurt.
- Your credit: If it s dismal, you re seen as a bigger risk of a claim and thus charged more in many states.
- Your mileage: The less you drive, the less risk of your hitting someone.
- Your insurance history: If you ve let your policy lapse, even for a few days, you ll pay about 5 percent more than you would have otherwise, according to Insurance.com.
- Your insurance company: No two insurers offer identical rates, and even on state-minimum policies, premiums can differ by hundreds of dollars a year.
- Your car: If your car has a significantly higher rate of claims than most (because, say, it s driven mostly by young drivers), your liability rates will reflect that risk.
Whether you’re a parent or a teen, read our guide to car insurance for young drivers for plenty more information that can help you make the car insurance choices that are best for you.
Please, enter the zip code!
Carinsurance.com is a part of the Insurance.com family
QuinStreet Insurance Agency, Inc. – Online Insurance Marketplace
Disclaimer: The insurance products on CarInsurance.com are from companies from which QuinStreet may receive compensation. Compensation may impact where products appear on CarInsurance.com (including the order in which they appear). QuinStreet does not include all insurance companies or all types of products available in the marketplace.